Since 1983, the Association of Canadian College and University Ombudspersons has connected Ombuds across Canada. Join today!
Step 1: Classification of Membership
- Work in a Canadian post-secondary educational setting on full-time or part-time basis
- Meet all or most of the following essential characteristics:
- Fosters respectful, fair and equitable policies, practices and treatment of individuals;
- Functions independently of the administrative structures of the institution and of the staff, faculty and student associations;
- Operates in an impartial and objective manner;
- Respects confidentiality;
- Provides information, advice and intervention; investigates or informally resolves complaints through access to persons, records, files and information;
- Recommends on individual and systemic issues without decision-making authority to implement the recommendations;
- Reports publicly or issues an annual report to the authority designated in the terms of reference of the office
- Voting members are eligible for the following:
- Voting rights at ACCUO Annual General Meetings;
- Running for executive office in the association e.g. President, Treasurer;
- Participation in the confidential forums of discussion;
- Attendance at sponsored events e.g. mid-year meetings
- Annual conferences;
- Mentoring relationships
- Work in an educational institution (post-secondary, high school or primary levels) on a full-time or part-time basis without meeting the essential characteristics for a voting membership
- Are affiliated with entities other than Canadian post-secondary educational institutions
- Are interested in the ombuds profession but are not currently practicing in the field
- Associate member are eligible for the following:
- Attendance at ACCUO annual conferences,
- Occasional workshops,
- Consultations with the Executives,
- Mentoring relationships.
- An office providing Ombudsperson services in a post-secondary educational institutions in Canada in accordance with the characteristics included above for voting members. Advantageous for offices of 3 or more people.
- Institution Members are eligible for the following: same as for voting members, but limited to one vote.
Step 2: Complete the Membership Form
Download the Membership Application and Renewal Form: 2022-23MembershipApplicationEnglish.
Step 3: Email the completed form and arrange payment
Annual Membership fees (July to June)
Voting Member: $100.00 CDN
Associate Member: $50.00 CDN
Institutional Member: $250.00 CDN
ACCUO accepts payments via INTERACT e-transfer. Please note that credit card payments and cheques cannot be accepted at this time. To complete payment log into your online banking account, add ACCUO’s Treasurer, Jennifer Meister (email@example.com) as a payee, and enter the membership amount you need to pay.
Contact Jennifer Meister (ACCUO Treasurer) by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org